Who must be a certified mechanic?

Agency: State

You must be certified as a mechanic in Michigan if you repair motor vehicles for compensation, including the reconditioning, replacement, diagnosis, adjustment or alteration of the operating condition of the vehicle, or any component or sub-assembly in any category of major repair. If you perform major repairs and are not certified, you must get a mechanic trainee permit for those repair categories in which you work.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.