Who needs an installment sales license?

Agency: State

The Motor Vehicle Sales Finance Act requires persons to obtain an installment seller license when selling a motor vehicle if: Two or more scheduled payments or deposits are made on motor homes or passenger vehicles only, whether or not the seller has retained a security interest in the motor vehicle.

Installment seller licenses are issued by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Form FIS-1028, Installment Seller or Sales Finance Company License Application, is used to apply. The cost of the license is $30 annually. It expires on June 30 each year.

Telephone: 877-999-6442 (toll-free) or 517-373-0220
Fax: 517-373-0549



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.