Do I need workers' compensation insurance for my employees?

Agency: State

  • Class C and Class R dealers must maintain workers' compensation insurance for employees classified as automobile dismantlers, or have an exemption from the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS);
  • Class H dealers must maintain workers' compensation insurance as prescribed by their home state;
  • Other dealers may also need to carry workers' compensation insurance but proof of such insurance is not required with the application for Class A, B, D, E, F, G or W dealers (unless also licensed as a Class C or R dealer).




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.