How can registered Michigan voters serving in the military or living abroad request an absentee ballot?

Registered Michigan voters serving or living abroad can request an absentee ballot be sent to them by email, fax, or postal mail by downloading and completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website, Once completed, voters should mail, fax, or scan and email their FPCA application to their local clerk’s office serving their municipality where they are a resident in Michigan.

To avoid the potential for postal delays, to request an absentee ballot ahead of the Nov. 3 election, the Michigan Department of State advises that Michigan voters overseas return their FPCA application to their local clerk’s office by email or fax, rather than by mail in order to receive their absentee ballot in time.

Once an absentee ballot application has been submitted, voters can securely track the status of their absentee ballot application and mailing of their absentee ballot online at

Please note, absentee ballot applications must be received no later than 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020, in order to receive an absentee ballot to vote in the Nov. 3 general election.



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.