How do I replace a lost or stolen driver's license?

Online - in state or out of state

You may request a replacement license through ExpressSOS whether you are in state or out of state. A branch office visit will be required if you have changed your address within the last 10 days or renewed your license within the last four weeks. 

At a Secretary of State office

If you are in Michigan, take acceptable proof of identification and your Social Security number to a Secretary of State office. Acceptable identity documents for the standard and enhanced licenses vary, but some of the documents that accepted for either include a valid, unexpired passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal issued by a U.S. or U.S. territory government office, federal or Michigan government issued photo ID card or a valid U.S. military photo ID card. More than one document may be required - faxes and photocopies are not accepted. Please refer to the Applying for a License or ID form (standard license) or the Applying for an Enhanced License or ID form (enhanced license) for more information.

Fees for a duplicate license differ, depending on license type.  Review the Standard License Fee Chart and the Enhanced License Fee Chart for complete details.

Out of State - by mail

If out of state, you must provide your complete name (first, middle and last), date of birth, driver's license number, Social Security number and out-of-state address. If you need to replace a standard driver's license and are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must provide a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. You must have a valid Social Security number to obtain an enhanced license. All Social Security information will be verified.

If you will be back in the state within 180 days, a temporary extension permit will be mailed. If you will not be back in Michigan within that time, a temporary extension permit will be mailed along with a duplicate driver's license application.

For more information about a temporary extension permit or if you have questions about replacing a lost or destroyed license if out of state contact:

Michigan Department of State
The Special Services Branch
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918

Phone: 517-636-5872
Fax: 517-636-5865


Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.