How do I apply for an original Commercial Driver's License (CDL)?

To apply for an original Commercial Driver's License (CDL) you will need to show your valid Michigan driver's license, proof of U.S. Citizenship or Legal Presence and proof of your Social Security number. Acceptable proof is your Social Security card, W-2 income tax form, an employee paycheck stub showing either your name and Social Security number or a military identification card.

For a CDL Group A driver's license, a general knowledge written test and a combination vehicle written test are required. For a CDL Group B or C driver's license, only the general knowledge written test is required. A written test is required for each CDL endorsement (H-Hazardous Material, N-Tank, P-Passenger, S-School Bus, and T-Double Trailers.) If the vehicle you will be driving is equipped with air brakes, an air brake knowledge written test is required. If you are applying for a hazardous materials endorsement, you must present proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence, and a Federal Security Threat Assessment

A driving skills test consisting of a Pre-trip Vehicle Inspection Test, a Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test and an On-road Driving Skills Test must be successfully completed through a Driver Testing Business.

For more complete information about obtaining a CDL, you may download a Commercial Driver's License Manual.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.