What do I have to do if have a financial-responsibility driver's license and I want to purchase another vehicle?

You are responsible for applying for a new financial-responsibility insurance policy on the new vehicle. Your insurance company will supply the State of Michigan with a copy of the new insurance certificate. Once the State of Michigan has received the certificate of insurance (not the application) for the new vehicle, another financial-responsibility restricted driver license will be issued to you. Until a new driver license is issued, you are not licensed to drive the new vehicle.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.