How do I transfer ownership of a watercraft?

If the watercraft is not titled, simply complete the back of your watercraft registration. If you have lost the registration, then a complete bill of sale with the year, make, hull identification number, MC registration number (if available) and the names and addresses of the buyer and seller may be used to transfer ownership.

If the watercraft is titled, a properly assigned title must be used to transfer ownership. If the title and/or registration are lost, a duplicate can be acquired by the owner(s) from any Secretary of State branch office. Without a properly assigned title, registration or bill of sale, a court order or surety bond would be needed to transfer the ownership. For more information contact your local Secretary of State branch office or the Michigan Department of State, Driver and Vehicle Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424). 

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.