Can the Office of the Great Seal authenticate documents from a city clerk, court clerk, or register of deeds or from other states?

The Office of the Great Seal can only authenticate documents from: Michigan notaries public, Michigan county clerks and designated deputy county clerks, city clerk/registrar in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties only) and the Michigan State Registrar of Vital Records.

Documents from a court clerk, register of deeds or from other states can be authenticated, however, they must be notarized. Out of state vital records must be a certified copy.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.