What do I need to send to request authentication by mail?
Please send the following:
- Document(s) to be authenticated.
- Cover letter including country of destination.
- Check or money order payable to the State of Michigan. (Fee is $1.00 per document, please do not send cash.)
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope or pre-paid air bill completely filled out including the account number and your address as the Sender. (The Great Seal will not pay for return postage.)
- All documents in foreign text that are presented for authentication are required to have all elements of the notarization in English.
- If sending documents by mail with courier service, such as Airborne Express, Federal Express and UPS.
- You must list yourself as the sender and receiver on the courier return air bill.
- U.S. Post Office express or priority mail may not be delivered to the Office of the Great Seal any faster than regular U.S. mail. Turn-around time is 1-2 weeks.
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.