Should I notarize documents that have both English and a foreign language?

Agency: State

You can notarize documents that include both languages. However, you are not required to sign anything that you are not comfortable with. If you are not comfortable, you may suggest the requestor find another notary conversant in that language (perhaps at a consulate) or ask for and attach an English translation.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.