What functions does the Bureau of Elections perform?
The Bureau of Elections is responsible for:
- Administering the state's election and campaign finance law
- Providing information about registering to vote and voting
- Providing oversight and training to local election officials
- Assisting candidates running for statewide offices with the requirements for filing nominating petitions, affidavits of identity and campaign finance reports
- Administering the Michigan Electronic Reporting and Tracking System, which allows candidates to file campaign finance reports electronically
- Administering the campaign finance database, which allows the public to access campaign finance reports via the department's Web at site at www.Michigan.gov/sos
- Maintaining the state's Qualified Voter File, an electronic database of registered voters
- Administering the state's casino and lobbyists disclosure laws
- Providing support to the Board of State Canvassers
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.