Can I import a vehicle to Michigan from a foreign country?

If the vehicle was manufactured for sale in the United States, you will need the proper ownership documents, a stamped U.S. Customs and Border Protection "Entry Summary" CPB 7501 form, proof of Michigan no-fault insurance, and identification to title and register the vehicle in Michigan.

If the vehicle was not manufactured for sale in the United States, you will then need the following compliance documents:

The Registered importer ensures the vehicle has proper ownership documents, meets all federal EPA emission standards and DOT safety standards, converts the odometer reading to miles, and ensures any custom duties are paid


Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.