How do I register my vehicle if the lien holder is holding the title out-of-state?

Take your out-of-state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of the out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle.  Proof of your out-of-state title can be a fax copy or photocopy of the title, a memo title, a recently validated title application, or a vehicle record printed on the issuing state's Department of Motor Vehicles letterhead verifying the vehicle is titled in that state.

Michigan will issue a "FOREIGN OWNERSHIP-REGISTRATION ONLY" registration for the vehicle. A Michigan title is not issued. The out-of-state title remains the ownership document.

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.