I am going to be in Michigan for an extended period of time for work/school. Am I required to register my vehicle here?

According to the Michigan Vehicle Code, a vehicle owner is required to register their vehicle in Michigan after staying in the state for 90 days. It is not necessary to title the vehicle in Michigan, however in order to comply with Michigan law, a Michigan certificate of no-fault insurance must be obtained in order to register your vehicle with the Michigan Secretary of State. If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State office. The Secretary of State will issue a Michigan registration and plate to a vehicle with an out-of-state title.  For a list of insurance companies authorized to issue Michigan no-fault insurance, please visit the DIFS website at: www.michigan.gov/difs.



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.