Why am I having trouble renewing a license plate online?
Your difficulty could be due to one or more of the following:
- The vehicle may not be within the renewal period. Vehicles may be renewed up to 180 days before the registration expires. Passenger vehicles owned by a business may be renewed up to 45 days before the registration expires. Commercial vehicles may be renewed only after Oct. 1.
- The plate type is not eligible for online renewal. For example, certain commercial plates cannot be renewed online.
- We could not verify online that you have insurance for the vehicle. If your insurance company doesn't send us updated files electronically or if a VIN is incorrect in the file, you must renew by mail or at a Secretary of State office (proof of Michigan no-fault insurance will be required).
- There may be suspensions, violations or restrictions tied to the vehicle or owner that prohibit a registration renewal.
- Online Renewal PLUS can't match the plate to your customer file. Misspelled or abbreviated names, missing or inaccurate information, variations in addresses, leased vehicles or multiple owners on a registration are some of the situations that may prevent a match between your customer file and the name on the registration.
If you cannot renew your vehicle plate through Online Renewal PLUS, try using Express Renewal. If you are still unable to renew it using Express Renewal, you may renew by mail or in person at a Secretary of State office.
Related Documents & Topics
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.