How do I apply for the background record check?
You cannot apply for a hazardous materials endorsement and request a federal background record check if:
- Your driving privilege is currently suspended, revoked or denied.
- You do not meet the federal standards established by the USA PATRIOT Act or you have a federal disqualification. The disqualifications are listed beginning in 49 C.F.R. 1572.103 and at the TSA website.
Universal Enrollment Services (UES) is responsible for coordinating the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) approved fingerprint office locations in Michigan. Please visit UES at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ or you may call the UES call center at their toll-free number 855-347-8371 to help you preregister for a background record check, inquire about enrollment statuses, or answer any questions. UES' call center hours of operation are from 8:00am to 10pm Eastern, Monday through Friday.
You should complete a federal background record check application 45-60 days before you need your hazardous materials endorsement. However, you will first be required to complete ALL of the following before the TSA fingerprint collection offices listed at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ can collect your fingerprints:
- Preregister online at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ or call UES' call center at their toll-free number: 855-347-8371.
- If you do not pay the required fingerprint fee when you pre-register, you will be required to pay the fee at the *in-person enrollment before you will be fingerprinted. You may pay with a credit card or money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check payable to MorphoTrust USA. Enrollment centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Cash and personal checks are NOT accepted.
- Appear in person at a TSA approved fingerprint office to have your fingerprints collected. The fingerprint office will ask you to present acceptable enrollment document(s) listed at: https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/hazmat-endorsement before the technician can take your fingerprints.
- Upon completing the preregistration for a federal background records check, you will be given a confirmation number for your records and to use if you need to contact MorphoTrust after you have pre-enrolled.
- Before going to a fingerprint office, please also visit https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ to ensure you have everything you need to be fingerprinted and to check for any fingerprint office alerts.
* Walk-in renewals are also accepted. The customer service agent will confirm that the membership is eligible for renewal, upload identity verification documents, make any necessary updates to the individual’s biographic information, and process payment.
Related Documents & Topics
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.