What do I need to do if I am moving to Michigan and need a hazardous materials endorsement?

Drivers who move to Michigan must immediately apply for a Michigan license, which is valid for up to four years and expires on the driver's birthday. You must be at least 21 years old to obtain the required endorsement to drive vehicles carrying hazardous materials.

Learn more about the requirements for a Michigan driver's license at www.Michigan.gov/sos.

  • If you do not have a hazardous materials endorsement on your out-of-state license and wish to apply for one on your Michigan license, you must apply for a federal background record check (BRC) with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and TSA must approve your application for a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) on your driver license.  The TSA will send their results to you by letter once your background check is completed.
    • The TSA approval letter verifies that you have passed the background records check. This approval is good for five years from the date the letter was issued. You must present the TSA approval letter at the Secretary of State office when you apply for your hazardous materials endorsement.

  • If possible, apply for the background record check at least 45-60 days before you move to Michigan. Although TSA believes most applicants will receive a response within 30 days, you may want to allow time for mailing and unexpected delays. To learn more about the Hazardous Material Threat Assessment Program and its requirements please visit TSA Hazmat Endorsement and the Universal Enrollment Services site at:  https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/


 Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.