How do I convert an out-of-state Commercial Driver's License (CDL) to a Michigan CDL?

If you currently have a hazardous materials endorsement, federal rules require you to take the hazardous materials written test every time you renew the endorsement.

You must present a Federal Security Threat Assessment letter from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)  and proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence to renew a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement. 

A vision test must be passed. No other CDL written tests are required unless you want to upgrade the group designator, remove an air brake restriction, or add a new endorsement when renewing your license.

Related Documents & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.