What must I do to comply with the new requirements to make my medical certification part of my CDL driving record?

You are required to self-certify to a single type of commercial driving on your driver's license application form when you:

  • Apply for a CDL;
  • Renew a CDL;
  • Apply for a higher class of CDL;
  • Apply for a new endorsement on a CDL; or
  • Transfer a CDL from another state.

You may need to provide a valid medical examiner's certificate and show any medical variance documents you have when renewing your CDL or obtaining an original one. You can provide this by visiting any Secretary of State branch office, faxing it to 517-636-4359 or submitting it online at www.Michigan.gov/CDL.

The SOS will be unable to process any of these forms if they are incomplete or illegible, and will return them to you.


If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.