Where can I obtain an International Driving Permit?

The International Driving Permit is a translation of an individual's driver license. This permit is carried in addition to an individual's driver license from their country of residence.

Michigan residents may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit if they intend to drive while in a foreign country. If you are interested in obtaining an International Driving Permit you should contact a full-service Automobile Club of Michigan (AAA) office or American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA) before traveling out of the U.S. Information is also available at the following websites:



Residents of a foreign country who are temporarily in the United States may drive in Michigan with their home country license and, if the license is not in English, an English translation of the license or an International Driving Permit. 
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.