Can you send me an application to extend or to renew my driver's license while I am out of state?

Online - out of state

A driver's license may be renewed online if you did not renew it through alternative methods, such as by mail, online, or at a self-service station the last two renewals.  

Out of state - by mail

If you will be returning to Michigan soon, a driver's license extension that is valid for 180 days after the date your license expires can be mailed. All that is needed is your complete name, date of birth, driver's license number, Social Security number, and out-of-state address. If you are renewing a standard license, and are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must provide a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. You must have a valid Social Security number to renew an enhanced license. All Social Security information will be verified.

If you are not going to be back in Michigan within 180 days of the driver's license expiration, information to renew your driver's license by mail, if eligible, will be sent to you. For a temporary extension permit or renewal application, log into online services or contact:

Michigan Department of State
Special Services Branch
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, Michigan 48918


Related Document & Topics



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.