How do I replace a lost or stolen identification card?

Online - in state or out of state

A standard state ID card may be replaced or renewed online at ExpressSOS. If you have changed your address within the last 10 days or have requested a duplicate ID within the last four weeks, you must visit a Secretary of State office to renew. Enhanced state IDs cannot be renewed online.

At a Secretary of State office

If you are in Michigan, you need to take acceptable documentation to a local Secretary of State office. More than one document may be required - faxes and photocopies are not accepted. And, if you have not provided the department with your Social Security number, you will need to present proof of a valid Social Security number or a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. All Social Security information is verified.

The fee for a duplicate ID card is $10.

Out of state - by mail

If you are out of state, contact the Special Services Branch and provide your first, middle and last name, date of birth, state identification number and out-of-state address:

Michigan Department of State
The Special Services Branch
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, Michigan 48918

Related Documents & Topics




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.