What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and how does it affect me?

Beginning June 1, 2009, travelers must present an identity and citizenship document approved under WHTI to gain re-entry into the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. (Before you travel, please check to make sure that you have met the specific identity and citizenship document requirements for any country you may be visiting.)

U.S. citizens age 16 and older must present one of the following:

a. Passport

b. Passport card

c. Enhanced driver's license or state ID card

d. Trusted Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST)

U.S. citizens younger than 16 should present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate (original or a photocopy), a naturalization certificate or a citizenship card.

Young people ages 16-18 who are traveling in a group with adult supervision as part of a school, church, social organization or sports team need only present their birth certificate (original or a photocopy) or other proof of citizenship.

For more information on WHTI and other federal travel requirements, visit www.dhs.gov or Homeland Security - Cross U.S. Borders.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.