Am I required to get an enhanced driver's license or state ID card?

No. They are provided as convenient options to speed up your border crossing when returning to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean by land or sea. The enhanced cards meet the travel document requirements under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.