I have worked as a motor vehicle mechanic for many years. Do I have to take the mechanic tests?

Agency: State

Yes, you must pass a test for each repair category in which you want to be certified. The law does not provide a "grandfather clause." The only way to qualify for state certification is to pass the state test or if you have passed tests administered by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), you may be eligible to apply for state certification in certain automobile and heavy duty truck categories without further testing. ASE certification alone does NOT qualify you as a state certified mechanic. Please refer to the ASE Information webpage for further details. Contact the Business Licensing Section at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424) for further information.




If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.