Where can I get a certified copy of my birth certificate?

Michigan birth certificates are available for a fee from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, or from the county clerk’s office of the county in which you were born. Hospital birth certificates can’t be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship.


Born in another state? Please contact your birth state’s Vital Records Office to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate.


U.S. citizens born in a foreign country: Please contact the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Vital Records Section to obtain a U.S. passport or a consular report of birth abroad. Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to obtain a Naturalization or Citizenship certificate. Delayed foreign birth certificates aren’t accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship.


Delayed birth certificates: Delayed birth certificates are issued when birth records are missing or not properly filed with a state’s Vital Records Office within one year of a child’s birth. Delayed birth certificates for children born in the U.S. may be used as proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for a driver’s license or state identification card as long as the following conditions are met. The delayed record must:

  • Be certified with a raised seal or stamp
  • Be issued by the Vital Records Office of the child’s birth state
  • Contain the legal name and date of birth of the child and the parents’ legal names


Certificate of Birth Registration: A Certificate of Birth Registration or similar document can be accepted if it has the following information listed on it:

1. U.S. government unit (city, county, state) that issued the record
2. applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth
3. parents’ names (at least one parent must be listed)
4. date the record was filed with the registrar’s office
5. certification statement and signature from the registrar indicating the original record is on file with the registrar’s office
6. seal or stamp indicating the document is a certified copy (not a photocopy)

Notification of Birth Registration documents will not be accepted as these documents are not issued by a Vital Records agency or local government unit, but rather by the U.S. Department of the Census. Likewise, hospital birth certificates or delayed foreign birth certificates as will not be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship.


More information is available on the Michigan Department of State website in “Driver’s License and State ID.”



If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on “Contact the Secretary of State” also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.