Can non-US citizens apply for a REAL ID? For instance, is a permanent resident eligible for a REAL ID? Are non-permanent residents eligible for REAL ID?

If you are a lawfully present non-U.S. citizen, including permanent and non-permanent residents, you are eligible to apply for a REAL ID driver's license or ID card or turn your current Michigan driver's license or state ID into a REAL ID. In either case, you'll need to make an appointment at a Michigan Secretary of State branch office and bring the required legal presence document.     It's important to note that some documents already in the possession of non-US citizens qualify as REAL ID and will be acceptable for flying domestically when the law goes into effect on May 3, 2023. These include:  

  • Permanent resident card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)





If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner. Or send us an e-mail by clicking on "Contact the Secretary of State" also in the upper right corner and we will help you get the information you need.