New Michigan Residents -- Title Requirements

New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State office and turn in the title from their previous home state. Titles are required for all motor vehicles, motorcycles, and all trailers 2,500 pounds and over. "Resident" means every person who resides in this state and establishes that he or she is legally present in the United States.

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lien holder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State office. Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance is required to register a vehicle. The Department of State will issue a Michigan registration and plate to a vehicle with an out-of-state title.

If there is more than one owner showing on your out-of-state title, all owners must be present. If an owner cannot appear, he or she may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign on his or her behalf. The Michigan vehicle title fee is $15. All Secretary of State offices accept cash, checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa debit and credit cards at the counter.

Related Documents
Appointment of Agent for a Vehicle, Watercraft, or Mobile Home PDF icon