Lost or Stolen License Plate

You may obtain a replacement plate at a Secretary of State office for $5. Bring your vehicle registration or the license plate number and your identification. Additional fees are due if you personalize your replacement plate or if you purchase a different type of plate. Auto Centennial and Great Lakes Splendor plates are no longer issued. If you have one of these, you may choose a standard, Spectacular Peninsulas, Mackinac Bridge or specialty plate as a replacement.

If only your tab was damaged, lost or stolen, a new tab and vehicle registration will be issued for $5. A replacement plate is not necessary in this case. 
Stolen plates should be reported to your local police or sheriff's office. The agency will enter a message into the Law Enforcement Information Network alerting officers that the plate was reported as stolen.

A plate or tab can only be replaced by the vehicle owner, by a member of the owner's family living at the same address or by a representative of the owner with an Appointment of Agent form completed by the vehicle owner.