Lost Title

If selling your vehicle and you cannot find its title, you will need to request a duplicate title using the Department's online ExpressSOS or process a duplicate title application at a Secretary of State branch office. If processing your transaction at a branch office, you must present identification and sign the title application. If you cannot visit a branch office, you may complete and sign an Appointment of Agent form designating another individual to sign the duplicate title application on your behalf. You will also need to provide a photocopy of your valid driver license or state ID card to the person appointed as your agent. This photocopy will be required at the Secretary of State office.

There is a $15 duplicate title fee. Your duplicate title will arrive in the mail in 7-10 days. If you need your title sooner, all Secretary of State branch offices provide instant (same-day) title service for an additional $5 fee. More information is available.

Under certain circumstances, you can sell your vehicle without replacing a lost title if:

  • the seller and buyer appear together at a Secretary of State branch office with proof of the Vehicle Identification Number (usually the vehicle's current registration will suffice),
  • there are no liens (bank loans) on the title record, or, if the record shows a lien, the seller brings a lien termination statement, and
  • a record of the current title is on the Secretary of State's computer system.

NOTE:Your situation may differ. Please check with our Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH  (1-888-767-6424) to make sure you have all the correct paperwork before going to a branch office.

Owner Out-of-State

Michigan residents who are temporarily out-of-state may obtain a duplicate title by mail.  Contact the Department's Special Services Branch at 517-636-5872 for assistance.

Related Documents & Topics