Acquiring a Duplicate Michigan Title While Out-of-State

Acquiring a Duplicate Michigan Title While Out of State

Michigan Title



You may request a replacement title online. Ordering a replacement title online costs $15 and the title can only be issued to the owner listed on the title document. Pay with Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or branded debit card or eCheck. Duplicate titles ordered online cannot be mailed to an out-of-state address - only to your home (residence) address.

If you have submitted a change of address to the Secretary of State's office within the last 10 days or have an appointment of agent or power of attorney designation, you cannot order a replacement title online.

By Mail or Fax

If you are a Michigan resident temporarily residing out of state or are a former Michigan resident and cannot locate your Michigan vehicle title, you can apply for a duplicate title by submitting the following:

  1. Duplicate Michigan Title Application completed and signed by the vehicle owner. (Adobe software signatures are not accepted.)
  2. You may add a security interest to your title by listing the name and address of the secured interest in the "First Secured Party" section of the application.
  3. To remove a secured interest, submit a termination statement from the lending institution with the application.
  4. Complete the Applicant's Out-of-State Mailing Address section to have your title mailed to your current out-of-state address.  
  5. If a dealer is applying for your replacement title, the dealer will need to submit a copy of their dealer license and telephone number. If you complete an appointment of agent (power of attorney) form appointing the dealer as your agent to sign the duplicate title application, the dealer must provide a photo copy of your driver's license or state ID.

Replacement titles cost $15.00. If paying by credit card, include the credit card information in the payment method section of the application and fax a printed copy of the application to 517-636-5865. If paying by check or money order, print the completed application and mail it with a check or money order made payable to the "State of Michigan." Please mail your completed and signed forms and payment to:

Michigan Department of State
Special Services Branch
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918