What do I need to personalize my plate? (Choose tab below)
To personalize a plate online, you will need to:
- Check that the personalized plate you want is available before ordering it. Go to Online Services. In the “Vehicle Searches” section, select “Check Personalized Plate availability,” and follow the prompts to see if your personalization is available.
- If your personalization is available, select the “login to order your plate online” link. It’s in the second bullet point under “Ordering Information.”
- Follow the prompts for creating or logging into your online Secretary of State account and then continue to the option for ordering a plate.
- Pay using a credit or debit card (additional fees apply) or e-check/bank account number. A personalized plate service fee will be charged. A plate fee will also be due when registering a vehicle for the first time, or if changing the type of plate already on your vehicle.
This transaction isn't available by mail.
This transaction isn't available at self-service stations.
- Your personalized plate number/letter configuration. Check that the personalized plate you want is available before visiting a Secretary of State office. Go to Online Services. In the “Vehicle Searches” section, select “Check Personalized Plate availability,” and follow the prompts to see if your personalization is available.
- Payment using cash, check or money order (made payable to the State of Michigan), or a credit or debit card (additional fees apply).
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
How much will I pay for a personalized plate?
- When renewing your vehicle: You will pay a $30 personalized plate service fee for personalizing a plate in addition to your registration renewal fee. A plate fee will be due if you replace your standard plate with a Mackinac Bridge plate or Water-Winter Wonderland plate, or if you change your plate type (for example, ordering a personalized fundraising plate to replace a standard plate). Plate fees will vary depending on the plate type you choose.
- If registering a vehicle or replacing an existing plate on your vehicle: You will pay a pro-rated personalized plate service fee (based on the number of months remaining until your birthday) and a plate fee if purchasing a Mackinac Bridge plate, Water-Winter Wonderland plate, a fundraising plate, or a veterans plate. (A pro-rated vehicle registration fee will also be due when registering a vehicle.)
How long do I have to order my personalized plate after I've checked for its availability?
We advise you to order your plate as soon as you’ve checked its availability since we can’t guarantee that someone else won’t also be applying for the same letter/number configuration. You will receive a receipt for your plate pending its approval. Approved plates are mailed from Lansing.
When do personalized plates expire?
- Like most license plates, personalized plates expire on your birthday.
- If you don’t renew your vehicle registration on time, your personalized plate will expire, but the plate letter/number configuration will be reserved for 30 days on system. If you don’t renew your personalized plate within 30 days after it expires, the plate will be available to anyone who requests it.
May I order more than one personalized plate?
You may order a second plate with the same number/letter configuration for an additional $5. However, the second plate can’t be used as a registered plate on a vehicle.
Can a request for a personalized plate be rejected?
- Yes, under Michigan law, personalized plate requests may be denied for a number of reasons, such as anything that conflicts with Michigan’s license plate numbering system; words or phrases in any language that promote or are hate speech, profanity, sexually explicit, or excretory; includes illegal drug-related terms or activities; or attempts to interfere with plate ID by law enforcement.
- If there are any issues with your personalized plate application, we will contact you.