Skip to main content

Registering to Vote: Step 5 - You're Registered!


When you go to the polls on Election Day, you will be asked to present voter identification. If you don't have acceptable photo ID, you can vote by signing an affidavit. The affidavit can be used by 1) voters who don't have acceptable photo ID or 2) voters who have photo ID - but didn't bring it to the polls.

Acceptable photo ID includes:

  • Michigan driver's license
  • Michigan personal identification card
  • Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state
  • Federal or state government-issued photo identification
  • U.S. passport
  • Military identification card with photo
  • Student identification with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education, such as a college or university
  • Tribal identification card with photo.

If you do not have a driver's license or other acceptable photo identification, you can get a state identification card at your local Secretary of State branch office for $10. State ID cards are free to individuals who are 65 or older or blind or who have had driving privileges terminated due to a physical or mental condition. The fee can also be waived for individuals who present other good cause for a fee waiver. Proof of identity and residency are required when applying for a state ID card.