Cable Installation

Agency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Required State License(s):

Any persons engaged in the business of electrical contracting who are not in a licensing jurisdiction must be licensed with the State Electrical Administrative Board. Contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division at 517-241-9320.

Other licenses:

A state sales tax license may be required if parts are sold to the public. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660 and request a 518 form.

Further Information:

If the job consists of minor repair work (not in excess of $100 in value) no license is required. NOTE: When installing cables, you may want to check with your local city/county clerk's office to inquire about any ordinance rules and regulations that you may have to obtain.

Also, if you need further advice/information about installing cables, contact the Electrical Division at 517-241-9320.

Revised: 6/2017