The Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Electrical Contractor License
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
338.887 Electrical Contractor's License Requirements; exceptions
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this act or in subsection (3), a person, firm, or corporation shall not engage in the business of electrical contracting unless the person, firm, or corporation has received from the board or from the appropriate municipality an electrical contractor's license.
R 408.30818 Permits and Certificates
80.19.1. To Whom Permits are Issued
(1) To obtain an electrical permit, an applicant shall be 1 of the following:
(a) A holder of an electrical contractor license or the qualifying master for the electrical contractor when authorized by the electrical contractor to secure a permit.
R 338.1003a Electrical Contractor, Fire Alarm Contractor, and Sign Specialty Contractor; license examination qualifications
Rule 3a. (1) To qualify for an electrical contractor examination, an applicant shall provide either of the following:
(a) A current master electrician license that is issued by the board or by a municipality providing for licensing pursuant to the provisions of section 6 of the act.
(b) Proof, on a form provided by the department, of the full-time employment of not less than 1 master electrician who is licensed under the act and who resides in this state and certification that the master electrician shall be actively in charge of, and responsible for, code compliance of all installations of electrical wiring and equipment.
R 338.1002a Applications; form; fee; grounds for denial of applications and for forfeiture of fees.
Rule 2a. (1) An applicant for examination shall submit, to the department, an application on the form prepared and furnished by the department.
(2) An application shall be accompanied by the fee prescribed in the act.
(3) Each question on the application shall be answered in its entirety.
(4) An incomplete application shall be returned to the applicant for completion and then resubmitted to the department within 15 days after the date of the department's request.
(5) Failure to comply with the requirement of sub-rule (4) of this rule is grounds for denial of the application.
5. Operational Requirements
338.883 Licenses and certificates; orders and rules; fees; expiration and renewal of license; reinstatement of void license; receipt of completed application; issuance of license within certain period of time; report; examinations for licensure and specialty licensure; annual report; "completed application" defined.
(8) The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor expires December 31 of every third year. The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor is renewable not later than on March 1 every third year upon application and payment of $200.00 if paid after September 30, 2012 and $300.00 if paid on or before September 30, 2012 by electrical contractors and fire alarm contractors...
The fee for the Electrical Contractor License Exam = $100.00
Contractor licenses are issued in 3-year cycles, everyone is on the same 3-year cycle, therefore, the fee is prorated depending on which year of the cycle we are in.
The fee for an Electrical Contractor license is $300.00 for the full 3-years, $200.00 in the 2nd year of licensing, and $100.00 in the 3rd year.
Bureau of Construction Codes Web-site: www.michigan.gov/bcc
E. Contact Information: