Required State License(s):


Further Information:

To perform marriage ceremonies a person should be an ordained minister, magistrate (a civil officer with power to administer and enforce law -- Justice of the Peace) or a judge.

An ordained minister of the gospel recognized by a church may perform marriages whether or not the church has filed a charter with the Corporation Division. To determine if a church has filed a charter call (517) 241-6470.

For marriage statistics contact the Department of Community Health, Vital Statistics at (517) 335-8714.

When forming a religious organization, there is a tax guide available from the IRS, publication "tax Guide For Churches and Other Religious Organizations; Publication 1828 Catalog Number 21096G; address: IRS, Freedom of Information Reading Room, P.O. Box 795, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, D.C. 20044 (800) 829-3676.

Many churches are required to have a "Church Copyright License." For further information about this license call (800) 234-2446.

Marriage licenses are obtained at the county clerk's office.

Revised: 5/2005