Electrical Sign Specialty Contractor LicenseAgency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
The Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Electrical Sign Specialty Contractor License
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
R 408.30818 Permits and certificates
Rule 818. Sections 80.19, 80.19.1, 80.19.2, 80.19.3, 80.19.4, 80.19.5, 80.19.6, 80.19.7, and 80.19.8 are added to the code to read as follows:
80.19. Permits and certificates. A person shall not equip a building with electrical conductors or equipment or make an alteration of, change in, or addition to, electrical conductors or equipment without receiving a written permit to do the work described.
(3) To obtain a permit for an electrical sign or outline lighting, as defined in section 1b(1) and (2) of 1956 PA 217, MCL 338.881b(1) and (2), an applicant shall be 1 of the following:
(b) A holder of a sign specialty contractor license or the sign specialty technician qualifying the sign specialty contractor when authorized by the sign specialty contractor to secure a permit.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
R 338.1003a Electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor; license examination qualifications.
(5) To qualify for a sign specialty contractor examination, an applicant shall provide either of the following:
(a) A current sign specialist license that is issued by the board or by a municipality providing for licensing pursuant to the provisions of section 6 of the act
(b) Proof, on a form provided by the department, of the full-time employment of not less than 1 sign specialist who is licensed under the act and who resides in this state and certification that the sign specialist shall be actively in charge of, and responsible for, code compliance of all installations, manufacturing, maintenance, connection, and repair of electric signs, outline lighting, and related wiring
3. Application Submission Requirements
R 338.1002a Applications; form; fee; grounds for denial of applications and for forfeiture of fees
Rule 2a. (1) An applicant for examination shall submit, to the department, an application on the form prepared and furnished by the department.
(2) An application shall be accompanied by the fee prescribed in the act
(3) Each question on the application shall be answered in its entirety
(4) An incomplete application shall be returned to the applicant for completion and then resubmitted to the department within 15 days after the date of the department's request
(5) Failure to comply with the requirement of sub-rule (4) of this rule is grounds for denial of the application
5. Operational Requirements
338.883 Licenses and certificates; orders and rules; fees; expiration and renewal of license; reinstatement of void license; receipt of completed application; issuance of license within certain period of time; report; examinations for licensure and specialty licensure; annual report; "completed application" defined.
(8) The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor expires December 31 of every third year. The license for an electrical contractor, fire alarm contractor, and sign specialty contractor is renewable not later than on March 1 every third year upon application and payment of ... $120.00 if paid after September 30, 2012 and $200.00 if paid on or before September 30, 2012 by sign specialty contractors.
The fee for the Electrical Sign Specialty Contractor License Exam = $100.00
Fire Alarm Contractor licenses are issued in 3-year cycles, everyone is on the same 3-year cycle, therefore, the fee is prorated depending on which year of the cycle we are in.
The fee for a Sign Specialty Contractor license is $200.00 for the full 3-years, $134.00 in the 2nd year of licensing, and $67.00 in the 3rd year.
7. Appeal Process
8. Public Input Opportunities
Bureau of Construction Codes Web-site: www.michigan.gov/bcc
E. Contact Information: