Agency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Required State License(s):

Any persons engaged in the business of electrical contracting who are not in a local licensing jurisdiction must be licensed with the State Electrical Administrative Board. Contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division; 517-241-9320.

Other licenses:

State sales tax license if parts are sold. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730 and request a 518 sales tax form.

Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after your registration is processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

Other Information:

If the job consists of minor repair work (not in excess of $100 in value) no license is required.


When installing cables, you may want to check with your local city/county clerk's office to inquire about any ordinance rules and regulations that you may have to obtain.

Also, if you need further advice/information about installing cables, contact the Electrical Division at 517-241-9320.

Revised: 01/2014