Elevator Contractor LicenseAgency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
The Bureau of Construction Codes, Elevator Division of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Elevator Contractor License
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
All elevator contractors engaged in the business of installing, constructing, repairing, altering, or maintaining elevators must be licensed by the Elevator Safety Board of the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
There are three classification types of elevator contractor licenses:
Class A - Unlimited
Class B - Maintenance and repair
Class C - Special types of elevators
2. Pre-Application Requirements
Applicants for licensure must:
1. Have at least 5 years of experience as an elevator constructor or journeyperson in the type of elevator work for which they desire the license
2. Provide 2 written references
3. Pass the written examination
4. Comply with the rules and regulations of the Elevator Safety Board
3. Application Submission Requirements
An Elevator Contractor Exam application must be on file in the office of the Elevator Safety Division, on or before the twentieth day proceeding the date of the examination.
The applicant shall be in a position to submit sufficient information relative to his/her experience, integrity and responsibility.
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
For updated exam dates and locations, visit the bureau's website at: www.michigan.gov/bcc
5. Operational Requirements
Initial licenses are valid until the following December 31. Licenses must be renewed annually.
Elevator Contractor Examination fee: $100.00 (nonrefundable)
Elevator Contractor Initial license fee: $100.00
Elevator Contractor Renewal license fee: $100.00
7. Appeal Process
8. Public Input Opportunities
Bureau of Construction Codes Web-site: www.michigan.gov/bcc
E. Contact Information: