Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view


    Agency: Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

    Required State License(s):

    Pharmacies and Manufacturer/Wholesalers must be licensed with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services, Board of Pharmacy; 517-335-0918.

    Pharmacists and Pharmacist Interns must be licensed with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services, Board of Pharmacy; 517-335-0918.

    A sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4660. Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed within four to six weeks after the registration has been processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4730.

    Other Possible License(s):

    Pharmacies are licensed with the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency. Contact Registration Branch, 500 Dirksen Federal Building, 219 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois 60604; 312-353-1234.

    When food items are sold (i.e., pop, candy, milk), a Food Establishment license is required with the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division at 800-292-3939.

    If beer, wine or liquor is sold, contact Liquor Control Commission at 517-322-1345.

    When cigarettes are sold from a vending machine, contact the Department of Treasury, Motor Fuel, Cigarette & Miscellaneous Taxes Division at 517-636-4630.

    If Lottery tickets are sold, a license is required with the Michigan Lottery at 517-335-5600.  

    When food stamps are accepted, approval should be granted by the USDA Food and Nutrition 313-226-4930 (Detroit); 616- 954-0319 (Grand Rapids).

    Contact Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Detroit about enrolling as a Medicare provider.  

    When a business wishes to qualify for payment from Medicare, call 800-633-4227; to enroll for Medicaid payment call 517- 335-5492.

    Revised: September 2013

    Related Content
     •  Private Postsecondary School
     •  Professional Employer Organization (PEO)
     •  Law Enforcement Officer / Police
     •  Participation Permit
     •  Personnel Agency License
     •  Pesticide Product Registration
     •  Private Well and Other Well Permits (i.e. Type III and Irrigation)
     •  Plumbing Permit
     •  Public Water Supply Construction Permit (Type I)
     •  Public Swimming Pool License
     •  Pet Shop License
     •  Public Swimming Pool Construction (spas/hot tubs) Permit
     •  Pharmacy License
     •  Pharmacy - Controlled Substance License
     •  Pharmacy - Use of a Controlled Substance in a Dog Pound, Animal Shelter, or by a Class B Dealer
     •  Pharmacy - Manufacturer/Wholesaler License
     •  Pharmacy - Controlled Substance Research License
     •  Psychiatric Program License
     •  Prepaid Funeral Provider
     •  Professional Investigation Agency License
    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan