Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view

    Waste Hauler

    Agency: Public Service Commission

    Required State License(s):

    Haulers of hazardous waste and non hazardous liquid waste must be permitted and registered with the Department of Natural Resources and Environment. Application forms and information is available at "Hazardous and Liquid Industrial Waste Transporters"

    Solid waste haulers are not licensed by the DEQ, but have operating requirements. They may have local business license requirements. See the Solid Waste Haulers information at "Solid Waste"

    Contact the Department of Environmental Qualilty at (800) 662-9278 for further information.

    Shippers and transporters of hazardous materials, including hazardous waste, are to file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation. Details at or call 800-467-4922.

    Michigan Public Service Commission:            When hauling for-hire, in intrastate commerce, operating authority must be granted through the Motor Carrier Division, Public Service Commission (PSC), Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Once granted authority, the carrier may have to license its intrastate vehicle(s) though the PSC; (517)241-6030.

    For-hire means, for a direct or indirect fee, transporting property not owned nor manufactured by the company doing the transporting.

    All interstate carriers, private and for-hire, must register in the annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program. Enforcement begins January 1st.

    See other entries for scrap tire and scrap metal haulers.

    Revised: 12/2013

    Related Content
     •  Wine Tasting Room License
     •  Wine Maker License
     •  Wholesaler License
     •  Warehouser License
     •  Watercraft License
     •  Wildlife Damage and Nuisance Control Business Application & Permit
     •  Wrecker Service
     •  Water Hauler License
     •  Water Use Registration and Reporting
     •  Water Withdrawal Permit
     •  Water Dispensing Machine Registration
     •  Wastewater Collection and Treatment Facilities Construction Permit
     •  Water Bottling Registration
     •  Wine Direct Shipper License
     •  Where do I pay my unemployment taxes?
     •  What you need to do if you disagree with a determination
     •  Wholesale Potato Dealer License
     •  Wholesale Fish Dealer License
     •  Wetlands Protection Permits (Part 303)
     •  Worker's Compensation Insurance Information
    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan