Skip to main content

Bakery (In home)

Required State License(s):  

Anyone who prepares food in their home for sale elsewhere should be licensed with the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development as a Food Establishment (see Food Establishment License for details). This includes baking cakes, preparing jellies, sauces, etc.. A residence should be inspected as part of the licensing process. Contact the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division; 1-800-292-3939.  

Other Possible License(s):  

If the product being prepared contains meat, a license with the U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA], Food and Safety Inspection Area Offices may also be required. You may contact Madison, Wisconsin (608) 240-4080.   For products that are available for sale to the public, a Michigan sales tax license is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a Registration For Michigan Taxes form (518). 

Further Information:  

Contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA] at (248) 968-0230 for information about the poultry meat processing law.   Many new businesses of this type "rent" space in other licensed facilities rather than adapt their residence to meet licensing requirements. Possible contacts include churches, VFW Halls, etc. which already have licensed kitchens.  

Revised: May 2017