Account Services

Using "Account Services", when you create an account, you are only required to answer the verification questions one time for each tax year.

  • Once you have created a MILogin account, you may use the same username and password for other state agency access.  (Secretary of State, Unemployment/UIA)
  • You have access to:
    • My Return Status/Where's My Refund
    • My Estimated Tax Payments
    • My Address
    • My Letters
    • My Response to Letters
    • My Requests
      • You have the option to ask a question by choosing "Create a service request"
      • You must provide a valid email address to submit a question

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year for authentication. When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for authentication. Include the adjusted gross income and tax year for which you are inquiring.

Access Individual Income Tax eServices