Apply for an IFTA License
Please consider the following information reviewed during the licensing process:
- The USDOT number you’re operating under must be active to travel interstate. If it is not currently active, please contact the USDOT office at 800-832-5660.
- If you are operating as a business, your business must be registered and in good standing in the State of Michigan with Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). LARA can be contacted at 517-241-6470.
- You will not be allowed to license for IFTA if you are delinquent for ANY taxes due to the State of Michigan. If you currently have tax liabilities, please contact the Collections Division at 517-636-5625.
- If you have ever had an IFTA license in another jurisdiction and that license is currently active, suspended or revoked, you will not be allowed to license for IFTA in Michigan. Please ensure you are in compliance with everything listed above prior to beginning your Michigan IFTA application. Non-compliance will result in licensing delays.
Important information to consider before applying for IFTA:
- There is no fee for an IFTA license and decals but you are required to file quarterly returns on the IFTA IPC even if you didn’t operate.
- Cancellation of your IFTA license must be done within 15 days of the cancellation date.
The link to proceed to the New Application below will take you to the login page for the IFTA IPC system. Once there, you will need to click the link beneath the Login button that says “Click here to apply for a new license and decals”.