May I claim a homestead property tax credit if I am a college student?
College students and others whose permanent homes are not in Michigan are not considered Michigan residents.
You may qualify if all of the following apply:
- Your permanent residence is in Michigan.
- You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year.
- You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied.
- 100% of your total household resources is not received from Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
- You own your home, your taxable value does not exceed $135,000.
- Your total household resources do not exceed $60,000. Part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if the credit reduction applies.
View the MI-1040CR instruction booklet to determine if you qualify.