What should I do if my financial institution has no record of my refund being deposited?

Verify that all account and routing numbers listed on your return are correct. The Michigan Department of Treasury cannot add or make any changes to the direct deposit information after the return has been received.

You may request that your financial institution trace the deposit if you have the exact dollar amount and date of the deposit. If your financial institution cannot locate your refund after 4 weeks, you may request a direct deposit tracer through the Michigan Department of Treasury.  A tracer can take up to 12 weeks. We will notify you of the results by mail. If you have moved since the filing of your return, update your address by using Check My Income Tax Info.

For privacy and security reasons you will be asked for your Social Security number, name, tax year, adjusted gross income/total household resources and filing status.

From the Check My Income Tax Info Web site:

  1. Select the option “Change My Address”.
  2. To verify your identity, log in using the filer’s Social Security number and name, then choose the option “Change My Address”.
  3. You will be asked to enter the tax year, your adjusted gross income/total household resources and filing status. Follow the directions given on the next page to request an address change.

Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year for authentication.  When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for authentication.  Include the adjusted gross income, refund amount and tax year for which you are inquiring.


Mail your change of address to:
Michigan Department of Treasury
Customer Contact Section
P O Box 30058
Lansing MI 48909

Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.