What should I do if my name is incorrect on my check/draft?

You may be able to cash the check or submit the draft to the heat provider.

If your financial institution or heat provider will not accept the check/draft, write "Void" across the front, include a letter of explanation and return it to the Michigan Department of Treasury.

If the name does not match due to a life change such as marriage or divorce, submit copies of the following verification documents: 

  • divorce decree or marriage license
  • driver's license or state I.D. showing your new name

Write 'Void' across the front of the check/draft and return it to the Michigan Department of Treasury. Include a request for replacement along with a brief statement as to why the check/draft is being returned and the appropriate verification documents.

Mail checks to:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Office of Financial Services
P.O. Box 30788
Lansing, MI 48909

Mail drafts to:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Support Services - RRF
P.O. Box 30757
Lansing, MI 48909

Allow 120 days for the replacement check/draft. If you have moved, include your new address and daytime phone number.