What if I have a filing requirement with Michigan, filed my return and have been notified that I am a victim of identity theft?

If you are a victim of identity theft contact Michigan Department of Treasury using Check My Income Tax Info.

Click on the above link and follow these steps:
     1.  Select the option "Ask an Account Specific Question".
     2. To verify your identity, log in using the filer's Social Security number and name, then choose the         
          option "Ask Treasury a Question".
     3. You will be asked to enter the tax year, your adjusted gross income/total household resources and
          filing status. Follow the directions on the next page to advise Michigan Department of Treasury
          that you are a victim of identity theft.

Include the following information: Date your return was filed, the method used (paper or e-file), your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.

Once your information is received, we will place an informational “stop” on your account to prevent refunds from being issued on fraudulently filed returns. Verification of your identity will be required before processing future returns.

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information due to identity theft, select the previous tax year for authentication. When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for authentication. Include the adjusted gross income, refund amount and tax year for which you are inquiring.