What if I misplaced or never received my Letter of Inquiry?

To request a copy of your letter, you may use the Check My Income Tax Info option on this web site.  For privacy and security reasons you will be asked for your Social Security number, name, tax year, adjusted gross income/total household resources and filing status.

Click on the above link and follow the steps below:

    1. Select the option "Ask Treasury an Account Specific Question".
    2. To verify your identity, log in using the filer's Social Security
        number and name, then choose the link "Ask Treasury a
    3. You will be asked to enter the tax year, your adjusted gross
        income/total household resources and filing status.  Follow the
        directions given on the next page to request a copy of your Letter
        of Inquiry. Allow
6 weeks for delivery.

Include your full name, complete current mailing address and the tax year with your request.

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year for authentication. When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year for authentication. Include the adjusted gross income, refund amount and tax year for which you are inquiring.